THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

When I was a kid, my summer days were filled with beach, pools, friends, riding bicycles, drinking from the hose, no sunblock and many other now "dangerous" behaviors. I can still hear my mom calling me for dinner at 5:30, having not seen me since noon. Having to come in for the night when the streetlights came on. When did I become this old person reminiscing about the "good old days"? It makes me wonder the sharp contrast of how my children will view theirs. Swimming and dance lessons, day camp, organized play dates. It lacks the spontaneity I enjoyed and the safety I took for granted.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Do you ever wonder if the media and marketers are complicit in scaring us so much we keep our children inside and buy them more things to play with? I would venture that terrible things existed 20 years ago. They just weren't as widely disseminated.